Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Hearty and Healthy: Spaghetti Squash

Courtesy: SweetlyVegan
Ever had Spaghetti Squash?? I've been hearing about it a lot lately and I decided to give it a try. I needed something new and fun to cook, and this was the perfect pick.

Spaghetti Squash is a large, oval-looking, seed-bearing winter squash. It's yellow/orange in color and well, it reminds me of Halloween season because it's like cutting a pumpkin. I was so eager to make this all day that I drove to Whole Food right after my class. Surprisingly, they didn't carry it; so I went off to Earth Fare and what-do-you know...they don't have it either! I started to get depressed, especially since I've been waiting to make this all day! I decided to go to Food Lion since I needed to grab a couple of other things and hello...Spaghetti Squash! Out of all the places, who knew that Food Lion would be the store carrying it!

Once I got home, I headed to the kitchen and began my project. It was all knew to me, but I enjoyed the process and it tasted delicious.

Heat Oven: 375 degrees
The squash is too hard to cut through so i took a small knife and picked at it. I put it on a pan covered with aluminum foil and baked it for about 30-40 min. I let it cool for a little and cut in half and scooped out the seeds with a spoon. I took one half and placed it face down on the pan and baked it for another 30 min. (It's only me, so I used only half of the squash and saved the rest for another day)

After it finished baking, I let it cool for about 15 min and I began to scrape the side with a fork. I heated a saucepan with olive oil, garlic, and rosemary creating a nice aroma and then later added the spaghetti squash. Once it heated through I added some parsley...sadly I didn't have any Parmesan cheese, but if you do, it'd make a great last touch! And there you have it! Spaghetti Squash with Olive Oil & Herbs.

Besitos, Lilliana

No comments:

Post a Comment